Saturday, April 3, 2010

She's crafty...

So, I came to the realization that I was probably never going to learn the proper way to play with our newly found Carrom board (see earlier post). I wondered what I could possibly do with the thing, since the frame is a huge piece of solid metal and can't be thrown away or fit into our car to take to Goodwill (I'm guessing this is the same problem the original owners had when they decided to abandon it in the basement). I've always wanted the boys to have one of those big Lego tables like they have at McWane center, and I've seen them for sale before, but they are usually around $200. I figured that I could probably use the frame and make my own Lego table top for much less than that. I got a piece of plywood from Home Depot big enough to fit the table ($2), sanded it down, and applied four large Lego baseboards with cement glue to the top. The baseboards are usually $15 each, but I went to the Lego store by our house and they had the red ones on sale for 1/2 off.



I think it turned out pretty good. I hope the glue holds. Apparently it is really difficult to glue plastic to other things. The guys at Home Depot know me by name now. When I went there the other day some guy I didn't recognize asked me how my flooring turned out. Maybe I need to drive out to Lowe's every now and then, so I don't look like some sort of crazy fix-it lady.